Friday, November 18, 2016

Check It at the Door....And that....and that too....

Forewarning....the following post is about 1st world problems. I am VERY grateful that my family is happy, safe, healthy and loved. Now, with that said....

My bestie and I were complaining to each other today. Because we get each other. We know what each other are going to say before we even say it. And we don't judge each other. EVER.

We are both working (corporate job because ALL moms work!! #momlivesmatter) mamas. Her husband travels for work. Mine is extremely busy with work, and just so happens to be out of town today as well. We are very grateful for these amazing men in our lives so don't jump to conclusions and think this is a husband bashing post. Because I don't bash my #1 man. He's incredible and she feels the same about hers.

So all of November so far has been out of this world, insanely crazy for my family. Last week was because of an amazing fundraising event put on by my husband and an amazing team. This week my managers have been in town and I've been tied up with that. But today, today takes the cake.

Woke up with a headache (that went away very quickly thanks to Thrive! Click on that!) so I didn't work out. First mistake. Should have gone anyway. But the hour and a half of extra sleep was nice.

Got ready for work, got the kids ready. But wait, today is the Thanksgiving feast for little K's classroom. The one I had to tell her last night I was going to miss because of work. And she cried.  Insert guilt here.

Corn I have corn on the cob. Perfect that's easy to take. Get corn out of the freezer, well 6 cobs isn't going to feed the class. Off to Winn-Dixie I go. Meanwhile, back at the farm, I had taken my debit card out of my pants pocket from the night before and put it into my work bag. Because I'm not going to forget my work bag. Now I'm at Winn-Dixie, corn and mashed potatoes in hand (microwave mashed potatoes of course - made from real potatoes ... of course!) and no debit card. Oh and I was on the phone as well. Panic starts because I don't have my debit card. Then I remember my "emergency cash" so I whip that out. But wait, I don't want to break that. 1 old-school CHECK FOUND! YES! Line has formed behind me watching the frantic mama tell the cashier about the Thanksgiving feast that I have to miss. They must think I'm a nut case.

Back home, corn in the boiling water, mashed potatoes in the microwave, wiping out the crockpots. All is going well and we're on schedule. Load up the kids, load up the food, grab my work bag and off we go. Good moods all around. I can breathe.

Until....

We're almost to the school when I hear a big thud. In the back of the caddy. Where the food is. Pull over, mashed potatoes all over the back of my trunk. What else is there to do but scoop up the potatoes that didn't touch the trunk and put them back in the pot. Mashed potatoes all over the trunk. Mashed potatoes all over my hands. Grab one of the many articles of clothing in my car and wipe them. Little K is frantic asking if that jacket of hers can be washed. No time to spare. Off to school. Kids and food dropped off, headed to work meeting. Was there just in the nick of time.

Meanwhile, guilt ensues. Time approaches where I know the other mamas are coming into the classroom, yet I couldn't be there. Jealousy. Anger.

Next, got a call from middle K's school. He has a tummy ache.  This is not anything out of the ordinary. Talked to him. Told the nurse to let him lay down and offer him a snack. 30 minutes later, phone rings again. Vomiting. Nice. Couldn't leave my work meeting for a Thanksgiving feast but HAD to for a vomiting child.

Find a manager, leave the meeting. Off to the school. Pick him up. Home.

Off to the girls' school to surprise them and pick them up early. Who wouldn't want to be picked up early from school right? The 13 year old, that's who. Wow.

Get home, get a call from another friend concerning plans this weekend not going as planned. Awesome.

Read a post in our class app from a teacher (see previous post). Just going to leave that there.

This brings you to the conversation I have with my BFF. Moms who work outside the home....KUDDOS. CHEERS to the weekend and time with your family. So as I'm telling her about the craziness that I have endured all day, alone, the thought crosses my mind.

Check that at the door, Karen. Wow. As I talked to her more, I knew deep down in my heart, that these feelings cannot stay in my life. Not today satan. Not today.

Guilt - Is not from God. Jesus didn't come to earth, die on a cross and break the chains of sins (these thoughts) for us to have guilt. No.

Jealousy - Really? Check that one at the door too. Then I'm reminded, some moms couldn't go to their child's classroom thanksgiving dinner because they have other children that aren't well. Or they don't have a way to get there. Or maybe embarrassed because they couldn't send anything to the class.

Anger - Check that one at the door. Anger doesn't fix anything. In fact, it only makes matters worse. For me and my family.

Mamas, all mamas. Working outside the home, from home, mompreneurs, stay at home moms. We ALL have these same feelings from time to time. Let's encourage each other to check this junk at the door. Rise above it. Don't bring it into our homes. Let our homes be a safe haven. A place of peace. A place of protection. Because with God's help we can do ALL things through Christ which strengthens us. There's lots of hard days. But when we acknowledge these feelings, and check them at the door, we can live in peace.

And just now, after talking with my bestie again, she reminded me of this verse.


My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

ALL of what happened today can teach me, stretch me, grow me. And what you have going on, is stretching and growing you too. Because none of us are finished growing and we never will be.

Remember that song, "He's Still Working On Me?" Still true today.

No comments:

Post a Comment