Monday, January 12, 2015

Every Once in a While....

Every once in a while, with the help of my husband, I do something proactive and not just reactive. I seem to be one of those people that walk around with my head in the clouds, knowing the tires need to be replaced on my car, knowing I will not have time to make dinner Tuesday night, knowing that I seriously need to go to the dentist BEFORE I'm in need of a root canal. Nonetheless, nine times out of ten, I do wait until I'm on the side of the road with a flat tire that cannot be repaired only replaced, do pick up fast food after soccer Tuesday night, or do have to call the dentist when my tooth ache is so bad I can't possibly stand it another minute. I do wish I would take action sometimes instead of let life happen. I am a work in progress....still.

So every once in awhile, on a Sunday afternoon, (btw, Sundays are by far my favorite day of the week) Doug fires up the grill. Usually what happens is he grills the meal I had planned for that day and then says, "Are you sure there isn't anything else I can throw on the grill while the coals are still hot? I hate for all of this to go to waste (speaking of the hot coals)." And sometimes, on really great awesome days, I DO have something else to throw on the grill. And I get so excited!!

Last time this happened we had bone-in chicken breasts and boneless skinless chicken breasts. So they all got cooked. We used an amazing blackening seasoning we learned from a friend on the chicken breast. Visit the Yummy Eats tab to get the recipe. We used a little butter, salt and pepper for the chicken with bone in. We really just wanted it to have a grilled chicken taste. Nothing exciting. Just simple.

I take some of the chicken and freeze it, then leave some in the refrigerator for the week. It can be used in salads, by itself. We eat it cold or hot. We put it in wraps with hummus, red bell pepper, feta cheese and spinach. There are so many things you can do!

Tonight we are having baked potatoes (mine is a sweet potato), yellow squash, zucchini and carrots, and left over grilled chicken. I loved only having to make the sides tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment